THE HISTORY BEHIND THE PROPERTY
2750 Bell Road Nashville, TN 37217
Owners: Avalene E. Cass & daughters – Laura Cass George & Connie Cass O’Connell
Purchase: Lewis E. Ellis to Cass 1982
Purchase: C.J & Maggie Williams to Lewis & Vera Ellis 1934
Purchase: Rowe Family to C. J. Ellis 1872
Purchase: Additional land added from M.C. & W.G. Baird 1886
The Ellis farm was documented to include approximately 160 acres in 1931.
Lewis Ellis, Avalene’s father, managed the farm from his WWI Navy discharge (1919) until his death (1982). He was born in the log house on the property in 1892. This home flew the British flag during the Civil War in hopes of avoiding union destruction. Mr. Rowe’s brother lived in New York and was a British citizen.
Lewis built the house in about 1922. He transported the lumber, by horse and wagon, from the Old Hickory Powder Plant, which was being demolished at the time. The new home faced Smith Springs Rd. and was across W. Hamilton Creek from the log house. Lewis and Vera cared for C.J. and Maggie Ellis until their deaths. In 1939, the house was altered, forming a 2 family home. Over the years, 2 aunts and uncles shared the house with Lewis. Lewis managed the farm with beef and dairy cattle, hay and corn and market vegetables, berries and fruit.
In 1964, the U.S. Government Corp. of Engineers acquired all but the highest land for J. Percy Priest Lake, flood area and wildlife area. The log house and barns were torn down, Lewis said goodbye to the farm but had the house moved to his high ground. It was rewired and renovated at this time. The back porch became 2 utility rooms and 2 bathrooms. The concrete front porch became a sunroom. An upstairs bedroom was divided into 2 rooms and a half bath was added. The 1922 windows, doors and moldings remained. The original pine floors downstairs were covered with linoleum. Later, the original wood siding was covered and storm windows added. Also, the back porch, which spans the length of the home was added.
The foundation stones of the house are from the chimneys of the Rowe log house. These beautifully cut stones, dating pre Civil War, and the natural limestone horse mounting blocks (by fence and barn) are from the Rowe log house.
Information provided by: Avalene E. Cass (Current Owner)
2750 Bell Road Nashville, TN 37217, is selling at Absolute Auction
July 16th, 2016 at 10:00 a.m. On-Site